Sunday, July 19, 2015

Buckets of Food!

Some of Today's Harvest
I am finding that there is a unique pleasure in growing your own food. After a few days of work that were long and grueling, I couldn't wait to get up on my day off and go poke around my urban gardening plot. With abundant recent rain and hot weather, the plants have really taken off! Today, July 19th, 2015, we harvested everything in the picture above, plus an additional 4 zucchini, and additional green beans, Some of the zucchini and beans went to elderly neighbors near our garden plot and I also brought some in to share with my co-workers.

When I got home, I used my new vegetable chopper (I reviewed the gadget in a blog post last week) to dice the zucchini and potatoes, then sauteed them with the peas in a bit of olive oil. When they were tender, I added a can of tomato salsa, a cup of homemade yogurt with dill, the salad greens, minced garlic, onion powder, hot madras curry powder, salt, and a dash of cayenne pepper- the result was a wonderfully aromatic and moderately spiced curry. I enjoyed this over rice, with another dollop of the homemade yogurt on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment