Friday, April 24, 2015

A Good Day's Work

Wildflower Seed Mix
 Today was the first major planting day in my garden plot, "Las Vegan Ranch", which is a vacant lot rented from the City of Lansing, MI. Most of the day was spent planting the wildflower seeds that I obtained yesterday from the seed bank at Foster Park. I also constructed 6 tripods for peas and planted turnips, beets, carrots, and kale. In the bucket above is the contents of 20 packages of wildflower and perennial herb seeds. I mixed the seeds with fine-grained, dry seed starter mix as a filler and I used a soup ladle to spread the seeds. All of my vegetable seeds were direct sown into the ground. I used an online chart from the agriculture department of Michigan State University to determine when to plant my crops.
Tripod for Peas
 The bamboo poles I used to construct my tripods for peas were left behind in my garden plot from the resident that gardened here last year. I lashed them together with twine and made 6 tripods to cover the end stakes, marking my rows of other vegetables. Each leg of the tripod and the center has 3 peas planted. I have a mix of 3 varieties of peas. One is called "Straight Arrow" and is an heirloom variety. The row marked in the picture above marks where I have russet potatoes planted. I put them in the ground about 4 days ago and they are not up yet.
Peas
 Here is another tripod in the view of the garden looking east. This rear half of the plot is where I planted my wildflower mix. I cordoned off and area about 40 feet wide X 30 feet long and ladled out the seeds. The mix is heavy on wildflowers to attract bees and butterflies. If you look very closely below, you can see 3 bamboo poles in the shady portion of the wildflower area. These poles mark where I planted Lupine ornamental wildflowers, a shade tolerant flower. I got 3 packets of these from the seed bank. They are perennials. I wanted to mark them, so I can dig them up next year in the spring, otherwise, they will be destroyed when the land is tilled again.
Wildflower Area
Lupine Ornamental Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment