Sunday, April 19, 2015

Potato Planting April 19, 2015

Seed Potatoes
Today, my sister and I headed over to our community garden plot, affectionately known as "Las Vegan Ranch" to plant some potatoes. This is my first year growing potatoes for food; last spring, I planted some for decorative foliage and they made big, beautiful vines, but very few potatoes, because my yard was too shady. This season, we chose to rent a nice, sunny plot from the city to garden on.

The potatoes are regular Russet potatoes from the grocery store. I bought them in early February and couldn't eat the whole bag, so I put them in a dark cupboard to plant later. The pictures show the potatoes after approx 8 weeks in a dark cupboard. We cut the potatoes up before planting them in the ground to yield more plants. The final tally was 20 potato eye segments planted from 7 potatoes.

Cutting Potatoes
 Here is the potato segment in the ground. As the season progresses, I plan to add straw mulch on top of the vines as they grow.
Planting Potato In Ground
 Also, we found an abundance of wild growing catnip on the plot, which I dug up to plant in pots at my house for our felines.
Basket Of Catnip
 After we were done planting, I played with some new alcohol inks and made a collage. I was using the inks to decorate glass and I decided to put a canvas under the work area to catch any drips and make an artwork out of them to experiment. This is a 12 x 12 canvas with alcohol inks, paper cutouts, and Mod Podge.
Alcohol Ink Art Collage

No comments:

Post a Comment