Thursday, June 4, 2015

All Trimmed and Mowed


June 4, 2015
We've been busy at Las Vegan Ranch the past few days! Even though I had to work, we found time to mow, weed, thin, and plant. Above is a picture after we mowed and weeded in the rows. You can also see photographs below of some miscellaneous projects we have been doing around the garden.

These Need to be Thinned
 These squash plants are too close together to thrive, so I thinned them out and moved every other plant to a different place in the garden. I have read that squash does not like to be transplanted, so I am pessimistic about the viability of the transplants; however, I am sure the remaining plants will like the extra room. Squash plants can grow to be very large.

After Thinning
Here, you can see a triangular area for peas. The picture does not show it well, but there is a tomato cage in the center on the triangle. I planted 6 pea plants inside the cage and 4 around each stake. My hope is that they grow and climb on the twine and cage. I saw the tomato cages being used for peas on a You Tube video, and the narrator stressed to always plant the peas inside the cage, not outside of it, otherwise the will not be supported well as they grow.
A Triangular Area For Peas To Climb
 Finally, here is a picture of my tomatoes and peppers. They are very happy in this sunny location.
Tomatoes and Peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment