Monday, June 15, 2015

War Against the Weeds

June 15th 2015

I have to work the next 4 days, so I had a lot to do in the garden today, and I probably won't be able to make a blog post until this weekend. After 2 days of steady rains here in Lansing, MI, the weeds in my garden have exploded! I was out there with my sister today and she helped me mow and weed, then I returned again in the afternoon by myself to finish some mulching. I purchased 3 more bales of straw to mulch around the plants, but before I could lay it down, I had to weed and cut around each plant by hand to remove the crabgrass and other weeds. I decided to leave the weeds growing up around my plants in the bales of straw, because they are decomposing, and I feel the weeds on the sides will give the bales stability, so they stay intact. These are pictures of the garden today after being mowed and weeded- I am sure it won't look this nice by the time I can work on it again this Saturday!
Dwarf Sunflowers Planted on the Berm


My Straw Bales With The Weeds Trimmed


I Plan To Plant Flowers on the Straw in the Center of the Square


Tomatoes, Melon, Zucchini, Beans, Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment