Saturday, June 20, 2015

Special Delivery

June 20, 2015
I had to work the last 4 days and couldn't get out to the garden, so when I arrived today, I was thrilled to discover the Ingham County Land Bank Had delivered my compost! The pile of compost below is 1 square yard. They charged me 13 dollars to have this compost delivered. I used the compost to mulch around a square of vegetables I have planted, and also plant some petunias in the middle. I bulked up the bales of straw I have planted with a layer of compost on the top. Currently, I have 2/3 of the pile left and I plan to hill my potatoes and build up the berm in front of my garden with the rest.
Straw and Compost

 I had a nice pot of lettuce that I harvested. Along with the lettuce, I picked some peas and turnips. As I am writing, I am cooking a curry with diced turnips, turnip greens, snow peas, and scallions from the garden. It also contains tomatoes, carrots, fresh garlic, red pepper strips, coconut milk and hot Madras curry powder. There is rice in the rice cooker to serve it with, and it smells delicious!
Lettuce Ready to Harvest



Peas Ready to Harvest

Straw Bales With Fresh Compost Added

3 Turnips I Picked Today

Petunias Planted in Vegetable Square
The recipe for the curry is:
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs curry powder
-1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 bunch scallions
-15 snow pea pods
-3 small turnips and greens
-1 red pepper cut in strips
- 1 bag matchstick carrots (small bag)
- salt to taste

Dice the turnips and save the greens. Saute all vegetables in a small amount of butter or oil on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, coconut milk, and spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer with cover on for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.
Diced Turnips, Turnip Greens, Scallions, and Snow Peas in a Vegetarian Curry I am Making

No comments:

Post a Comment