Sunday, June 28, 2015

Finally!

June 28, 2015
 I seems like forever since I have been able to get out to my garden, Las Vegan Ranch, and really work. Between my job at the craft store, medical appointments, and abundant rain, I have been very busy. Fortunately, I was able to find 4 hours to work in the garden and get a lot done!
Facing East Wide View
 It was very overgrown and weedy, with all that precipitation, so I pruned, mowed, mulched and weeded. I did not weed as thoroughly as I wanted, due to time constrains, but I might be able to finish up in the morning. Next year, I hope I can afford a weed eater and some landscaping plastic, so I won't have to deal with this many weeds.
Potatoes With Fresh Compost
I hilled my potato plants with fresh compost, as well as added compost around my watermelons and tomatoes. For potato plants, if you do not mulch them with compost or straw, the newly formed potatoes can get exposed to sunlight and turn green. You should add straw or compost around the plants 2-3 times a season, to protect any tubers that are growing close to the surface.
Green Tomato
 I saw plenty of green tomatoes, along with a few squash. We will be able to harvest green beans this week, and I got a large haul of fresh catnip herb with buds on the top. I am going to air dry these and sew them inside sachets for cats to play with.
Catnip Drying in the Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment