Monday, June 15, 2015

Great Greens

My Dinner Sun June 14th of Turnip Greens With Balsamic Vinaigrette
 I am so excited! Last night, between rainstorms, I was able to sneak over to my garden and harvest some greens for dinner. I pulled out a huge pail full of turnip greens, with baby turnips attached to the ends. Some of the baby turnips were about the size of a radish. I washed the greens and picked out the best quality baby turnips to eat. Additionally, I harvested a large bunch of scallions. Above, are my sauteed turnip greens, garnished with slices of raw, baby turnip, and dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and fresh garlic. I served this with a hamburger steak, drizzled with the oh-so-pedestrian A1 steak sauce. I know that most foodies are of the opinion that A1 ruins meat, but I love it!

I was a vegetarian for 15 years and while I don't eat much meat, I do enjoy it as an occasional treat. I like that I can enjoy a lower-carb meal and keep my blood sugar stable. I have type 1 diabetes and I am wearing an insulin pump now, so I have somewhat strict targets for carb intake. Unfortunately, my very favorite foods are mostly vegetarian carb based foods that I try to eat in a limited quantity. I adore calzones, rice dishes, and all manner of pasta. I feel more virtuous and healthy when I work in green vegetables into my diet. These greens were delicious, but needed the addition of some salt for seasoning.

This is how to make them if you are interested.
-heat a skillet with a light coating of oil (olive, canola, butter- whatever your choice is)
-fill the skillet until it is heaping full of raw, washed greens
-cook on medium heat until the greens are reduced in size about 10 times and appear withered and tender
-garnish with salt, garlic, pepper and either lemon juice or a vinaigrette dressing

Uncooked Baby Turnips From My Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment