Saturday, June 13, 2015

My First Sewing Project


Supplies and Finished Bag
Last night I took my first sewing class at Joann Fabric and Crafts at Frandor Plaza in Lansing, MI (full disclosure: I got a part-time job there, so this class was a very fun part of my training). The class lasted 3 hours and included supplies. The instructor was very knowledgeable and went over the parts of a sewing machine, how to read patterns, and talked a little about types of fabrics and interfacing. We filled a bobbin, threaded the machine, pinned, and sewed straight seams in forward and reverse. It was intimidating, but exhilarating to try a new craft and very educational. We used a basic, computer operated, mechanical Singer sewing machine in the classroom. The cost for the basic sewing class is 35 dollars and it includes all supplies. You can see the list of classes offered at Joann in the front of the store, in a black kiosk, near the cashiers. The fee for the class covers 3 hours of instructions plus supplies. Some other June classes they are offering are jewelry basics, mason jar crafts, home decor sewing, and "lazy" pants sewing. I want to take the "lazy" pants one next!
My Bag

No comments:

Post a Comment