Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A Cold and Cloudy Week

Facing East
 It's been a cool and overcast week here in Lansing, with temperatures in the 40's-60's and lots of rain. Because of the rain, it hasn't been possible to get out and work much in the garden, but I headed over there today to see what was sprouting. Quite a few of the crops I have planted are coming up; however, it looks like there are plenty of weeds and volunteers from seeds in the compost or crops that were planted last year. 4 days ago, I put out tomato and pepper seedlings, and although I think it was too early, they do not seem to be negatively affected by the cool weather. There has been no frost, freeze, or snow though. The weather forecast predicts it will start warming up tomorrow.
Facing West, Wildflower Meadow Section
 This portion of the garden is a mix of native wildflower seeds to attract pollinators. I see some weeds in here, too. I plan to let this section grow as a cover crop and have it tilled up next year.
Turnip Greens
 Here are some turnip greens coming up. I plan to harvest the baby greens for salads and sautes, then thin the turnips and let them mature.
Lettuce, Flowers, and Herbs
Finally, I have some assorted potted plants here. The lettuce is doing well. I have dwarf sunflowers planted along the wooden beam on the left hand side of the picture, but they have not sprouted yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment