Monday, May 18, 2015

Just Like Christmas!

Compost and Straw Has Been Delivered!

Yippee! Today the Landbank of Ingham County, Michigan delivered the compost and straw that I had purchased. Compost costs 11 dollars a square yard (2/3 of what is pictured) and straw is 2 dollars a bale, delivery included. I purchased 1 square yard of compost for my vegetables and 10 bales of straw. There is a lot of land in my garden plot where I haven't planted yet, and I plan to mulch that with straw to discourage weeds; however, today, I wanted to lay down compost and then a layer of straw around the plants that I have growing now. The weather is starting to feel summery and it is going to get hot and dry soon.

My sister and I were out watering the garden this morning. when we were surprised by a young man on a tractor, delivering garden supplies. It was just like getting Christmas presents, I was so giddy about my new supplies. Immediately, I set to work using the compost and straw.

Adding Compost, Then Straw

First, I piled compost around each plant to ensure it has a good supply of nutrient rich organic matter for the season, then I formed a nest of straw around each plant to hold in moisture. I also weeded by the plants and used some of the compost to reinforce my garden stakes and to build up a berm in the front of the garden. I have sunflowers and zinnias planted on that berm in the front. Below, are 3 weeded and mulched rows of plants.

3 Finished Rows
Here are 2 shots of the garden facing east, after I was done working for the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment