Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Straw Bale Cherry Tomatoes

Cherry Tomatoes Planted in a Straw Bale
A few years ago, a good friend told me about straw bale gardening,a technique where you plant your crops directly in a bale of straw (not hay) and at the end of the season, till the straw back into the garden bed. The advantages of straw bale gardening are the same as a raised bed garden- fewer weeds, protection from critters, and more heat to fuel the growth of young plants. The straw bales are also supposed to soak up water, like a mulch, and protect the plants from drought. I planted cherry tomatoes in my bale today, and I hope they grow and cascade over the edge of the bale, like a min-tomato-mountain.
Plants from Horrock's In Lansing, MI
 I bought the plants from Horrock's on M43 in Lansing, MI. They have a huge selection of gardening supplies and plants. Here are black cherry tomatoes, crimson sweet watermelons, and grape tomatoes.
Pot of Leaf Lettuce
 This is some leaf lettuce almost ready to harvest. I started it in seed pots indoors 5 weeks ago. Below, you can see me watering the bale of straw. The final picture is a wide view of our garden of May, 20th 2015.
Watering The Bale

Melons and Soybeans

Wide View of Garden May 20th

No comments:

Post a Comment