Saturday, May 16, 2015

Michigan State University Plant Sale

Greenhouse Number 1
Yesterday, in my Greater Lansing Food Bank email newsletter, I got an announcement about the annual plant sale at MSU, and wanting to get out and explore the community, I decided to go check it out. The sale was held on Sat. May 16, 2015 from 9 am until 2 pm. The newsletter urged patrons to bring their own carts and wagons. I certainly agree with that and can attest that if I had a cart to hold more, I probably would have bought many more plants!

Succulents
 The sale was held in the horticulture building and filled 3 huge greenhouses with a variety of annuals, perennials, houseplants, herbs, fruits, and vegetables. They even had some exotic and tropical plants. The prices ranged from 2 dollars to 5 dollars, with several special assortments for a sale price. For example, I got a 4 pack of veggies for 3 dollars that included 2 varieties of tomatoes, an early variety of jalapenos, and slow-bolt  cilantro, all bundled together in the "salsa pack". I also purchased a honeydew melon plant, Minnesota Midget melon plant, and a large aloe vera. The aloe is now in a pot in my kitchen and the melons and vegetables are planted in my community garden plot.

Plants I Purchased

No comments:

Post a Comment