Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Season's First Bloom

Zinnia
 In anticipation of drier weather ahead for the rest of the week, my sister and I headed over to "Las Vegan Ranch" today for some watering and to check on the progress of our garden. First, we noticed that our zinnia, a gift from Delphina, one of the neighbors had a bloom on it! This is our first flower of the season from these perennials. She gave us 4 plants, which we have planted as a border for the front of the garden, along with sunflowers.

Cabbage, Kale, and Broccoli 
 Here are some of our cool season crops that are doing nicely; however, I worry that it will get too warm for the crops to fully mature. There is no sign of florets on the broccoli or of a head forming on the cabbage. I have read that these crops do best around 70 degrees Fahrenheit; however, the forecast is calling for 80's the rest of the week, and 90's very soon.
\

Salsa Quartet
 Planted here is the salsa quartet I bought yesterday at the MSU Plant sale. It has 2 varieties of tomatoes, hot peppers, and cilantro. Below, is some squash coming up. I plant to thin them when my mulch and compost arrives. I also plan to mulch over a lot of the weeds coming up and lay down burlap between the garden rows.
Squash

No comments:

Post a Comment