Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Tomatoes and Terracotta Pots

Terracotta Pots on Right
 I had to work memorial day at my job (Joann's Fabrics and Crafts) for an extra long shift, so there wasn't extra time to play in the garden; however, I did harvest some green leaf lettuce from the containers on the left and had a wonderful salad. I brought 3 large terracotta pots from my backyard down to the ranch as well. They looked kind of lonely and empty, so I headed over to the Garden Resource center in Foster park (3 blocks from my garden) and I saw they had many donated plants today with a limit of 10 free plants today. I told the volunteers to surprise me and gave them a bucket to load up.
Free Items From Garden Center
 I got 3 celeriac, 2 kale, 3 tomatoes, and 2 peppers. The tomatoes are a climbing vine type, Heritage, and Purple. The peppers are Flavorburst and Cayenne. The celariac is called Grande Prague variety. Some of the tomatoes and peppers are in pots and some are in the straw bales. It is hard to see, but I used that free piece of wood from the garden center to bury in a pot and I am going to let the climbing tomatoes climb it. Right now they are small plants, so they are staked at the bottom of the board. The cayenne is in that pot, too. I have been reading about drying hot peppers in my car as a technique to dry and save them for a long time.
View Facing East May 27th
The pots on the left hand side contain lettuce that was harvested and eaten. It was delicious. In the cordoned off square on the left, there is popcprn and bush beans planted. The central bales have tomatoes, peppers, sunchokes, and a winter squash plant. The third bale will be for annual flowers that I am buying when I get paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment